We’re always on the lookout for talented and results-oriented people. We offer a friendly, casual, small team and a work environment high on responsibility and low on politics. Compensation packages include healthcare, disability insurance, paid vacation/holidays (including your birthday off), IRA matching and flex schedules. We also have snacks, Dogwood Coffee, team lunches, and a close proximity to Bauhaus Brew Labs and Spyhouse.
If you’re interested in joining us, please send a cover letter and résumé, links to three live website projects that you’ve worked on (with a description of your role in the project), and desired salary requirements. Local applicants preferred; no phone calls please.
Contact Information: firstname.lastname@example.org
Account Project Manager
You are smart, optimistic, results- and process-oriented. You live to address client needs and to plan and execute great strategies that highlight our team’s expertise and guide the success of both our clients and Windmill Design.
You will work with us to keep projects on track throughout their lifecycle by managing budgets and timelines and prioritizing assignments. You thrive on keeping clients happy and well-informed, and turning them into raving fans of our team and process.
You are a natural communicator and problem solver, with the ability to understand a client’s story and negotiate a win-win. You have deep knowledge of web, digital marketing and graphic design processes, think quickly on your feet, and are a pro at delegation. You balance big picture goals and important details to ensure project outcomes.
Most importantly, you want to join a team of great people who are passionate about growing our company, creating work we’re proud of, and keeping clients coming back for more.
- Comprehend the essential dynamics, strategies and drivers of the client’s business.
- Be warm, likable, and a good listener.
- Share your knowledge of web design/development, graphic design, and branding solutions. Show how they solve a client’s business and marketing needs. Our customers trust you as their expert guide.
- Collaborate with the founder and sales team to create project estimates, proposals and planning documents, then execute against high-level strategies and goals set forth at the kickoff.
- As the main point of contact for projects large and small, you promptly return client emails and calls, communicate proactively and apply their feedback toward the collective best outcome for the project.
- Work with the Director of Project Management to schedule and balance the workload of a small team of designers, developers, strategists and outside vendors/contractors. Hold the team accountable to deadlines, and drive results and efficiency.
- To grow our digital marketing services and strengthen existing relationships, collaborate with the team to follow up with clients throughout and after the project and on a semi-annual basis to ensure customer satisfaction, review needs, and develop plans.
- Work with the team to use Google Analytics, Heatmap reports and other analysis tools to review client web traffic, plan strategic campaigns and report on progress.
- Team up with project management, design, and development staff to create accurate estimates, project specifications and timelines for new work, as well as changes to scope. Review invoices for accuracy.
- Facilitate client meetings (in collaboration with design team) and ensure that feedback is complete and received in a timely manner.
- Identify risks in meeting schedule and budget constraints and react accordingly to maintain project momentum, quality, client happiness, and profitability.
- Balance client-facing project schedules and internal task assignments and priorities.
- Guide and facilitate content creation by writers and/or clients.
- Perform related responsibilities as assigned to help the company operate efficiently.
Skills and background:
- Experience in and knowledge of the creative and technical requirements of web design, web development, digital marketing, SEO, analytics, user experience, print/graphic design and branding.
- 3-6 years at a digital agency in account, project or traffic management and a proven track record
- Proactive communication habits: adept at asking the right questions to create clarity and
- answering client questions before they have to ask
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills
- Confident writing ability
- Conversant and familiar with WordPress, Shopify and Magento
- Able to focus on details as well as overall goals and “big picture” of the project and client relationship, taking all into account when making day-to-day decisions
- Objectively make recommendations and present decision alternatives, negotiate effectively and influence project stakeholders to create win-win solutions
- A positive, can-do attitude; effective listening skills; empathy, assertiveness and an ongoing interest in learning
- Leadership qualities: honesty, integrity and ability to stay calm under pressure
- Mac user with Microsoft Office, Google Apps experience (Adobe Creative Suite experience a plus, but not required)
- Ready to become a power user of Liquidplanner
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s Degree
Web and Graphic Designer
You are an optimistic self-starter, who is creative and can work both individually and as part of a team. You’re always thinking about new solutions, enjoy working closely with talented developers, and know how to put yourself in the user’s shoes.
You enjoy being able to hear the client’s story first-hand, and know when to give the client what they asked for vs. what they actually need. You will be part of a design team that works closely with in-house developers, project management and account staff, creating top quality work for clients from diverse industries, primarily within the B2B space. Approximately 2/3 of our design work is website design, and 1/3 graphic design and brand design. This is not a development position, but you should have sensitivity to HTML/CSS to facilitate clear communication with the development team, and have a basic understanding of how CMS systems work from a user perspective.
- Work with Creative Director and design/development team to collaboratively solve communication problems for clients, working on a wide range of project types, budgets and timelines.
- Design responsive websites, print collateral, and logo/identity/brand deliverables.
- Use basic knowledge of SEO, user experience and content strategy to create and work from UX deliverables including sitemaps, storyboards, wireframes and design briefs to create innovative design solutions.
- Strategize and create easy-to-understand client-facing presentations.
- Create pixel-optimized web design deliverables to hand off to our in-house development team, and collaborate with developers throughout the development cycle.
- Update/augment existing websites, creating new layouts and designs that fit with existing standards.
- Communicate efficiently with clients when presenting design concepts, describing design decisions and gathering feedback.
- Work in a Mac environment using Adobe Creative Suite, Sketch, Google’s G Suite, some Powerpoint, Microsoft Word/Open Office.
- A strong portfolio showing a working knowledge of design principles, typography, web standards, and user experience.
- Proven ability to efficiently and effectively devise creative solutions to complex problems.
- Strong writing and communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to communicate clearly and efficiently with clients, developers, or vendors as needed.
- Objectively make design recommendations and present alternatives to create win-win solutions.
- An optimistic, can-do attitude; effective listening skills; assertiveness and an ongoing interest in learning and self-improvement.
- Strong organizational skills, including the ability to juggle several projects and deadlines concurrently when needed.
- A self-starter who can work with a team or under art direction as well as manage projects independently.
- At least an Associate’s or Bachelor’s Degree in design, interactive design or related area preferred.
- Minimum of 2-3 years industry experience preferred.
Preferred skills, but not required for consideration:
- Beginner- mid-level knowledge of HTML/CSS to help facilitate clear communication with the development team.
- Familiar with using Sketch, and wireframing tools like Moqups.
- Illustration/Infographic skills are a plus, but not required.
The design team at Windmill Design would love to review your resume and portfolio. Even if your experience isn’t an exact match to our Web and Graphic Designer description, please send us your information following the requirements above so that we can get to know you better.
This position is ideal for someone with a proficiency and interest in front-end web development, with a background and understanding in general web development. This is not a design position, but you should have a sensitivity to design details, aesthetics, and UX.
While you will be working with a development team, you should be able to develop and launch a simple WordPress site independently. Aside from the development team, you will also work closely with in-house design and project management team members.
- Collaborate with the team to understand client needs and deliver smart solutions.
- Create clean HTML, CSS, and JS based on project specifications, wireframes, and design files (Sketch, Photoshop).
- Build and test responsive, highly-customized open source CMS-managed websites (primarily WordPress).
- Work from and contribute to flexible boilerplate themes.
- Implement and/or extend plugins, modules, libraries, and APIs to customize display and functionality.
- Test websites for cross-browser and cross-platform compatibility.
- Learn new CMS, application, and eCommerce platforms as needed.
- Work in a Mac environment using a code editor of your choice along with Git, Sketch, Adobe Creative Suite, Google Drive, and Open Office.
- Continuously discover, filter, absorb, and share smart solutions with the team.
- Other related responsibilities may be assigned as needed to help the company operate efficiently.
- Strong web development portfolio demonstrating a working knowledge of clean and efficient coding practices, user experience, and attention to design detail.
- Work independently or as part of a collaborative development team.
- Quickly devise smart solutions to complex problems.
- Interest in learning and evaluating innovative tools.
- Strong written communication skills, including the ability to communicate clearly and efficiently with other team members, outside programmers, vendors, or clients.
- Strong organizational time-management skills, including the ability to contribute to several concurrent projects and deadlines.
- Extensive knowledge of HTML/CSS, accessibility guidelines, and SEO practices.
- Familiarity with CSS-preprocessors (SASS, LESS).
Preferred skills, but not required for consideration
- Industry experience as an agency web developer.
- Experience implementing and working with open source CMS platforms.
- Understanding of Git or another version control system (Subversion, CVS).
- Familiar with newer JS frameworks (Vue.js, React, Angular).
- Experience with web-hosting control panels (WHM/cPanel or other proprietary systems).
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s Degree in a related subject area.
The development team at Windmill Design would love to review your resume and portfolio. Even if your experience isn’t an exact match to our Web Developer description, please send us your information following the requirements above so that we can get to know you better.