We’re always on the lookout for talented and results-oriented people. We offer a friendly, casual, small team and a work environment high on responsibility and low on politics. Compensation packages include healthcare, disability insurance, paid vacation/holidays (including your birthday off), IRA matching and flex schedules. We also have snacks, Dogwood Coffee, team lunches, and a close proximity to Bauhaus Brew Labs and Spyhouse.
If you’re interested in joining us, please send a cover letter and résumé, links to three live website projects that you’ve worked on (with a description of your role in the project), and desired salary requirements. Local applicants preferred; no phone calls please.
Contact Information: firstname.lastname@example.org
You are an optimistic self-starter, who is creative and can work both individually and as part of a team. You find joy in solving problems, making things more usable on every level, and simplifying the complex.
You’re a lifelong learner and you understand how business works in a way that allows you to translate a client’s business, marketing, and sales goals into concrete, executable recommendations. You love learning about how complex products are made, sold, and work in our clients’ supply chains.
You’re confident presenting and explaining your work and flexible to client and team collaboration, always shepherding the client toward the best solution to meet their goals and needs; you know when to give the client what they actually need, vs. what they asked for.
Approximately 75% of our design work is website design or web application/UX, and 25% graphic design and brand design, but if your experience doesn’t include print or brand, this is still a good fit for you as we have other designers on the team who can focus on this aspect. This is not a development position, but you should have sensitivity to HTML/CSS to facilitate clear communication with the development team, and have a basic understanding of how CMS systems work from a user perspective.
- Collaborate with the team to understand client needs and deliver smart solutions that that provide value and optimize usability, business, and technical needs.
- Create effective UI and visual design deliverables including sitemaps, navigation, wireframes, and the design of marketing and lead-generation focused websites, ecommerce websites, web applications, and occasional print collateral and brand assets. (Print design experience not required.)
- Work closely with our development, content and SEO teams to create work that not only looks good, but truly works for both our clients and our process. Collaborate with developers throughout the design and development cycle.
- Ensure deliverables are of high quality and consistent with creative direction, best practices, and guidelines. Work with project management to ensure this team meets its deadlines.
- Communicate clearly, taking a leadership role with clients when presenting design and UI decisions and gathering feedback, in collaboration with our management team. Actively listen and tailor your language to varying client stakeholders, from C-suite to specialists.
- Provide accurate estimates of effort to create deliverables; identify risks and uncertainty.
- Update existing websites with layouts and designs that fit or improve upon existing standards.
- Other related responsibilities may be assigned as needed to help the company operate efficiently.
- A strong portfolio demonstrative of a working knowledge of web design and UI best practices.
- Awareness of complementary disciplines including marketing/business strategy, human interaction, SEO principles, accessibility, content strategy, and user experience.
- Personally accountable, responsible, and dedicated to creating value and success for Windmill and our clients.
- Proven ability to efficiently and effectively devise creative solutions to complex problems.
- Ability to work quickly when needed, be flexible to changes, and able to strike a strong balance between perfectionism and value for the client.
- Strong relationship and interpersonal skills to build effective partnerships and lead across functions and business areas, within Windmill and with our clients.
- Strong ability to collaborate and assert a point of view positively.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills – you can be clear, down to earth, approachable, and concise.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to quickly learn and effectively work in a variety of subject matter.
- An optimistic, can-do attitude; effective listening skills; assertiveness and objectivity.
- You have an ongoing interest in learning and self-improvement. You’re an avid adopter of new technologies, and pay attention to trends.
- Strong organization, prioritization and project coordination skills, including the ability to juggle several projects and deadlines concurrently when needed.
- A self-starter who can work with a team and manage projects independently, while efficiently delegating to and overseeing others.
- Able to work in a Mac environment with expert level mastery of Sketch, Adobe Creative Suite, and InVision.
Additional skills not required for consideration:
- At least an Associate’s or Bachelor’s Degree in design, UX, development, marketing or related area.
- Minimum of 5-8 years industry experience.
- Experience in B2B and technical/engineering/manufacturing, or ability to learn the industry and its customers.
- Knowledge of web technologies, understanding of how content flows and fits together is required; hands-on experience with HTML/CSS/JS.
- Familiar with print design tools, software, and best practices.
- Illustration/Infographic skills.